Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Going Batty??

So I was just sitting in the living room by myself last night after putting the kids to bed, surfing the internet and half listening to the TV, when I catch a slight movement out of the corner of my eye. I thought it was maybe a moth since sometimes they get in the house when we let the dogs in at night. I glance up at the TV and this black thing swoops by and disappears up the stairs.

Not a moth.

A bat.

So I want to go upstairs and tell Dom who is in his office, But that means getting past the bat which is flying back and forth in the hallway. I make a run for it ducking as the bat swoops by.
Now let me clarify I am not afraid of bats. Anything that eats mosquitoes is cool in my book, it's just a natural reaction to duck for cover when something comes flying at your head.So I told Dom there was a bat in the house and he walks out into the hall turns the corner and gets buzzed by the bat and turns around and comes back into his office and closes the door.

"Okay we need a plan." he says.

"yeah we need to catch it." I have a keen sense of the obvious.

Luckily my husband is a fisherman and we have a net so he goes to get the net and tells me to try to corner it in the bathroom.
Yeah, right.
Eventually we corner it in the upstairs hallway and attempt to get it in the net. When I say 'we' I mean Dom because really all I can do is stand back and try not to get hit by the flailing net and swooping bat and yell ,"there it is, get it!"
Very helpful.
Suddenly, I hear Becca's bedroom door open and both Dom and I yell "Close the door!"
She closes the door. Dom catches the bat, who is really pissed off at this point and is chattering away. He was successfully realeased outside to continue to eat up mosquitioes and hopefully remain outside!
Afterwards I went up to explaing to Becca what was going on. She thought it was kinda funny and so did Dom and I!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you remembered you catch a bat with a net or something with holes in it. Better than shooting it like your father did one time.You must remember that story.

Mom

Jennifer said...

Or how about the story of Dad (Mark) waking up screaming, well more of a fog horn sound, when we had the bat in our house.

He killed it with the end of a bat and then used a nine iron to send it into the woods. (only dad) Of course this was after he scooped it up in Mom's ice bucket and then put the bucket back in the sink to be washed. Let's just say, we never had a nice ice bucket again.