Monday, January 24, 2011

Apple Muffins


I had to make muffins for church yesterday morning and decided that I would try a new recipe. I decided this right before church which means I then tortured myself with worry that they were going to come out yucky. Luckily they didn't. They were good.
Really, really good.
So good that as I type this I am trying to convince myself that I don't need another one, cause i already had one that I really shouldn't have had because I am sure they are packed full of calories because the recipe involves butter, sugar and buttermilk which of course is why it is so tasty.

Anyway here is the recipe, I tweaked it just a bit from the original by adding about a Tbsp. of cinnamon to the batter. I also added a bit of nutmeg to the topping.


Apple Muffins
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups diced apples
Topping
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups or use liners.
Sift together 2 1/4 cups flour, baking soda and salt. In a seperate bowl mix together the buttermilk, egg, 1/2 cup melted butter, vanilla and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar until sugar has dissolved. Add to the flour mixture along with the diced apple. Stir just until everything is blended. Spoon into the muffin cups filling to the top.
In a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour and cinnamon. Drizzle in the two Tablespoons of melted butter and toss with fork until well blended. Sprinkle generously over tops of the muffins.
Bake for 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

No comments: