Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Earthquakes and Hurricanes-Oh My!

So we've been a little busy with everyday life, you know earthquakes, hurricanes, starting school.  You know the normal stuff.
Okay, some not so normal stuff.
Here in the northeast earthquakes are not very common and to tell you the truth I didn't feel a thing.  I didn't even know we had one until Dom called me from work and asked if I had felt it.
As for the  hurricane.  They aren't unheard of but still not common and it is the summer version of a nor'ester as far as I am concerned.  Now Irene made her presence known with lots of rain and wind.  No damage to our property except a lot of leaves and branches all over the yard.  There were lots of downed trees and power lines in our area and we were with out power for approximately 53 hours.  Not that I was counting or anything... 
We were actually quite well off since we have a generator.  We had  TV, hot water and showers and the refrigerator was kept cold.  The weather was beautiful the day after Irene passed and it was strange to have such beautiful weather and no electricity.  The kids got an extra day of summer vacation when they delayed the start of school by one day due to the storm.  The kids thought it was kinda fun for about a day.  Then they were ready for the internet to come back on.  I have to admit it is really quiet where we live and though I was very grateful for the generator the constant noise it creates started to get annoying.



I've got a few before and after pictures of the mad river to share. The top two are obvious the before.  The after pictures aren't that great because they are taken with my ipod because it was raining and I didn't want to bring my good camera out in the nasty weather.


So at about four int he afternoon, the night before the first day of school we got power back.  It made for a memorable first day of school.

No comments: