Monday, August 27, 2007

Unofficial end of summer

Ahh.. the temps have cooled off a bit and the air is much drier. Thank goodness! The forecast for the upcoming week is beautiful, too bad Becca has to head back to school tomorrow. She is excited and I am excited for her. Kenzie is excited that she gets mom all to herself again (though this was stated when she was mad at her sister.) I know she is going to miss her. Kenzie has one more year home with me before she can start Kindergarten. I considered sending her to preschool, but since I have a degree in early childhood it didn't really make sense to send her just for the social aspect. She gets plenty of socialization from dance, story hour at the library as well as programs at the rec department and of course her big sis! I was a little hesitant to sign her up for dance again after the hard time she gave me at the end of last year but she insisted she wanted to do it again so we'll give it a try. Becca has signed up again to, but after four years of doing a ballet/tap/jazz combo class she decide she wants to do Irish soft shoe.
She had a chance to try it for a few classes over the summer and loved it.

We've packed lots of fun stuff into the past few weeks including lots of playdates, sleepovers and trips to the lake. We also had another geocaching adventure. We found a trail near the lake that made a loop and had three caches hidden along the way. The first one was right at the beginning of the trail and was full of lots of neat treasures. Kenzie found the second cache and was so excited she did a happy dance. On the way to the third cache Becca and Boomer accidently disturbed a log with a nest of yellow jackets in it. The poor kids got stung about 10 times and Boomer got stung too. She isn't allergic, thankfully, but she didn't want anything to do with hiking or geocaching for the rest of the day. She was very brave, no tears but she was upset and having been stung several times on the ankle refused to walk. So it was a bit of a long hike back to the car.. but we made it. We didn't stop to try to find the last cache, Becca was in no mood and there were lots of muggles around. ( Muggles are non-geocachers).

So with the start of school the unofficial end of summer is here but we do still have some fun stuff planned in the next few weeks. Thanks to my in-laws we will get to spend a week on Merrymeeting lake the week of Labor day. It is only about 15 mins from here and from Becca's school so it is an easy commute. The Hopkinton State Fair is soon and Dom and I will hit another Nascar race too!

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Sounds like a great summer with the girls. I know how Becca feels about the stings, I had a run in when I was a kid too. Walking on one of the many stone walls at the house in Hillsboro, a nest was under a stone that I stepped on. I was stung 13 times, and I must have screamed bloody murder, because I remember my mom running out of the house so fast to see what happened. I think I was Becca's age, but not nearly as Brave, I cried and I am still scared of bees. :)