Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Snickerdoodles


In the past I was never one to experiment too much with recipes but as I've gained confidence in the kitchen I've started to tweak a few recipes. Last week I was asked to make some cookies for a funeral and decided to make some Snickerdoodles. To be perfectly honest even though I have eaten Snickerdoodles and like them I have never actually made any. So I went online and looked at several recipes and came up this:



Snickerdoodles


1 cup of shortening

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 3/4 cups of flour

1 tsp. baking soda

2 tsps. cream of tartar

1/2 tsp. salt


2 Tbsp. sugar


2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. nutmeg



Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl cream together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups of sugar and the vanilla.

Stir in the eggs one at a time.

Add the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir until well blended.

In a small bowl mix together the cinnamon, nutmeg and 2 Tbsp. sugar.

Roll the dough into small balls then roll the balls into the sugar mixture. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet several inches apart.

Bake for 8-10 minutes in preheated oven. When edges just start to brown remove from oven and let cool on wire racks.

No comments: